Unemployment benefit is paid to an insured person who is below fifty five (55) years old and ceased to be employed.
- The member has contributed to the Fund for a period not less than eighteen months
- The member must be terminated or ceased to be employed in the circumstance other than resignation
- The member must be a citizen of the United Republic of Tanzania
- The member does not qualify for pension, gratuity or any other long – term benefits payable under NSSF Act
- The member must proof to the Director general that he has not secured another employment
- The member is below fifty five years old
- An insured person who has contributed to the Fund for at least eighteen months (18) shall be paidMonthly payment at rate of 33.3 % (per centum) of his salary/wages earned during the time of cessation from employment.
- An insured person who contributed to the Fund less than eighteen months (18) shall be paidfifty per centum of the total contribution.
If member has not secured another employment, within eighteen months after the date of expiration of the period of receiving unemployment benefit, he may apply to the Director General to convert his contribution into supplementary scheme of his choice.